Wednesday, July 23, 2008

J-Tube Blocked

Kaitlyn was admitted to Hospital again today as her J-tube blocked again! We were giving her 1:00pm meds along with some tylenol for a fever and the tylenol blocked her tube. She woke up this morning with a fever of 38.9 and has had a low-grade fever of 37.5 off and on for the last couple of days. She had a slight increase in secretions today, as she was drooling all morning and never drools under normal circumstances. Kaitlyn hasn't had a good BM the last two days, and had two diapers with very little poop today. She is due for a really good BM sometime soon.

They weren't able to get TPN for Kaitlyn today as they left the order for too late in the day!!!! My husband and I had asked for it upon arrival to the hospital as we knew that they probably would not replace her tube today. She will have to go without any food until tomorrow late morning. She had a central line placed in her left femoral by Dr. Macmanus our PICU Intensivist. Our General Surgeon, Dr. Brisseau, tried her right leg, and hit the artery and drew arterial blood for a blood gas, but the wire kinked when he went to thread the veinous poke, and then he couldn't find the vein again. Kaitlyn was started on D5W and NaCl with potassium 40 mmol. She had to be catheterized for a urine sample, which was incredibly smooth. Then she was started on the IV antibiotic ceftazamine in case her fever is due to her pseudomonas colony. I think that she is having some sort of GI issues as her respiratory is perfect so far!!! There is a slight increase in output from her G-tube, and the color is definitly green with some sludgy brown making it's way through in the AM.

Our pediatrician was in tonight around 8:00pm until 9:00pm, and she wants to start Kaitlyn on Vancomycin as well as the Ceftazamine hopefully Kaitlyn will not spike a big fever this time like she did last (drug fever). I also noted that Kaitlyn's leg that Dr. Brisseau worked on seemed cooler than her other leg. The pulses are much weaker in the right leg also. They used a dopler on her leg but were unable to find any pulses. Our pediatrician said that she could feel the femoral pulse so we are just going to keep a close eye on her leg as the night continues and hope that it is nothing.

She had blood drawn at 11:00pm to check electrolytes and Co2. They sent the lab up, but I sent them back and said that she has a central line and the nurse could draw the blood through that. They were actually going to poke her again after all she's been through today. Now we are just praying for an easy night and no further weakness come morning without any food all night!!

No comments: